Hey...WossaMottaU?

Some blather on the good...the bad...and the foo king ugg lee...FWIW.

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Spring cleaning, Spring fever



Loretta and I got outside yesterday and enjoyed the nice weather. We enjoyed it by mowing and edging the lawn (I actually did the mowing!) and giving the Harley a good Spring cleaning.

The break in the rain patterns was short-lived as it is raining cats and dogs this morning (Saturday) and is expected to continue for the weekend....but, Spring is here.

Spring Fever? Well, when I was in radio I used to make note of it every year and use it as fodder for humor on my radio show. Of course, the humor may have been a subjective thing...as I recall, I skirted the fine line of off-color as often as possible. Scientists and other scholarly types related so-called Spring Fever behavior as something based on hormonal changes in humans. After spending the winter sequestered in the old cabin, we ventured outside when the weather changed from rotten to nice. In the animal world, this signaled the time to "hook up", to find a mate and propagate the species. It has been happening since the dawn of time.

In the human world, there are other things to consider when Spring has sprung (like taxes, spring cleaning, and weight loss programs), but the primal urges are still there. The hormones begin to flow a bit more and we homo sapiens transform. It isn't coincidental that weddings are most often in the Spring and early Summer. Please note that most babies are not born nine months after Spring...statistically they arrive nine months after Winter. Those long, cold, dark months in the cabin produce most offspring...humans would typically have to wait until Spring to tie the knot! It's all good.

Be that as it may, Spring is here...and I don't really feel the Spring Fever thing anymore, maybe it just hasn't arrived in me yet.

More accurately I think it is a hormone thing at my age. Let's face it, when I was 24 years old the testosterone was flowing much more freely than it is now at 56! I don't care how macho a guy you are, it's a function of nature and old age...if you are over 50, you are at least a quart low by now.

I do believe that a reduction in testosterone brings about an equal rise in the level of cynacism one has about life. I know this may be a generalization. It may be a totally inaccurate statement...maybe it's just me. I just don't feel it anymore...that Spring Fever thing.

So, in my case, I must work on it...I must make a conscientious effort to pull out of the Winter Funk (that's my term for the opposite of Spring Fever). Winter Funk has traditionally been called Cabin Fever. Since most of us don't live in a cabin any longer, well...you get the idea. So, we must venture out into the surrounding forest...soak up the sun's healing rays...hunt for something to eat...forage for building materials to repair the nest...burn off that winter fat...clean the Harley, start it up, and get on it!

And, if time permits, grab hold of your mate and kick start what hormones you have left. Afterall...she has hormones as well!

"Honey...have I told you I love you yet today? How 'bout a ride...on the Harley?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home