Hey...WossaMottaU?

Some blather on the good...the bad...and the foo king ugg lee...FWIW.

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Blasts from the past...my Top 20 (33 actually).


Well...here goes. An attempt to list my favorite songs of all time. Keep in mind that I have been around for more than half a century, I may be dipolar, and I surely have A.A.D.D....oh, and C.R.S.

Since most of us more mature folk don’t have the old Top 40 type a.m. stations that we grew up with anymore, there really is nothing recent here...considering there hasn’t been much to listen to recently anyway...that’s not much of a revelation.

I’ll attempt to limit it to twenty songs. And, they are listed in no particular order...just my Top 20 favorite songs. The critieria: I can listen to them over and over again. I consistantly go back to them on a regular basis and never really get tired of them (existing on at least one of my iPod Favorites Playlists). For example...I didn’t include “Layla”, Derek & the Dominoes...for the simple reason that I indeed get tired of it (especially the long, drawn out ending), and...everyone and his dog has used it for their T.V. show, commercial, or a movie soundtrack, ie, “Goodfellas” (one of my favorite movies btw). Over-exposure is a good factor in the editing process.

In The Air Tonight (Phil Collins)...Tell Me Why (Beatles)...How Long (Ace, Paul Carrack)...Surfin’ USA (Beach Boys)...If I Fell (Beatles)...More Than a Feeling (Boston)...Bluebird (Buffalo Springfield)...Feel A Whole Lot Better (Byrds)...All You Get From Love Is A Love Song (Carpenters)...I’m A Man (Chicago)...One Fine Day (Chiffons)...Born On A Bayou (Creedence)...49 Bye Byes (C.S.N.)...Don’t Start Me Talkin’ (Doobies)...Light My Fire (Doors)...New Kid In Town (Eagles)...Funeral for A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding (Elton John)...Cold Day In Hell (Gary Moore)...Crackerbox Palace (George Harrison)...We’re An American Band (Grand Funk)...No Time (Guess Who)...In The Shape Of A Heart (Jackson Browne)...Never Die Young (James Taylor)...Midnight Man (James Gang)...Cherry Bomb (John Mellancamp)...You’re Sixteen (Johnny Burnette)...House At Pooh Corner (Loggins & Messina)...It’s A Long Way There (Little River Band)...You’re Still The One (Orleans)...Toussaint l’Overture (Santana)...Deacon Blues (Steely Dan)...Refugee (Tom Petty)...Behind Blue Eyes (Who).

Looks like I went past twenty songs (33 in all). The alternative was to go to forty songs and I opted not to do that. I may as well do the Top 100 with my musical interests (another time, another blog). Some of these were so-called hits, many were not. I also realized that all of these selections are from big name, recognizable groups. There is a sizeable handful of songs that deserve a list of their own, ie, One Hit Wonder Songs That Should Be On My Favorites List...coming soon to a blog near you. I'll work on it!

I never get tired of listening to these tunes. Some make me want to sing, some make me want to play air guitar or air drums...and some just make me cry.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Nice list, Dad. I knew of nearly all those songs, and can agree that I like most of them as well. It's hard to make those kinds of lists, because inevitably you'll forget something great, but on the flipside, when you force yourself to sit down and make the list, you'll more than likely remember something you haven't thought of in years.

5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home