Hey...WossaMottaU?

Some blather on the good...the bad...and the foo king ugg lee...FWIW.

Saturday, November 25, 2006

O.K., O.K....Yes, I am thankful for many things...

I’ve never had much of a problem being sympathetic, or sensitive, or reflective, or emotional, or sentimental. Not lately anyway. It seems in the last ten years or so, I’ve become almost pathetically sappy about some things. I get all choked up at what seems to be the simplest of things...movies, old photos, memories, a truly good Bacon Cheeseburger. But I just don’t emote very much about Thanksgiving. While I’m on the subject...Christmas doesn’t do much for me either nowadays!

In fact, the holidays in general seem to put me in a pissier mood than any other time of the year (if it’s even possible for me to be more pissier than I am normally). Usually from November 24th or so to January 27th, I’m just a grumpy, whiny, pain-in-the-ass. Why January 27th? Well, January 26th is my birthday. I usually snap out of this funk right after that.

So this year, I am going to make a concerted effort to get through this time of year without the usual recalcitrant attitude. Over the years I surmised the reason for this is very simple. This time of the year was always super special for me, as it is for most people. Simply put...as a child, I relished everything about Thanksgiving, Christmas, and my birthday. Since becoming a adult...sometime in my late 40s...it just ain’t the same anymore. The stress, the anticipation, the money thing...they all take their nasty toll on what used to be a free and frivolous time of the season. Shit...Christmas vacation was a blast, even if we didn’t go anywhere. But enough nostalgic whining for now. I am thankful for many things.

Yesterday, Thanksgiving Day, Loretta and I went to our usual turkey day soiree. For the past six years or so, we’ve had Thanksgiving dinner at our friend’s (Sue Perry) parent’s house...the Graysons in Oakdale. They are as close to being surrogate parents as we could hope for. We don’t spend a lot of time with them but we do end up there on several “big” days throughout the year...Thanksgiving, Easter Sunday, Groundhog Day, etc. It has always been difficult to make it down south to visit either of our parents because of work responsibilities and schedules...hence, we thank Bud & Helen Grayson for being so gracious. And they are indeed very gracious individuals. Despite my crass behavior, off-color jokes, love for Black Velvet, and incessant picture taking...they insist on inviting us back! Of course, our repeating invitation back may only be due to the fact that I am married to a very polite, lovely woman. I am also very thankful to be hitching a ride on Loretta’s social shirt tail. In fact, if not for Loretta, I just might have been injoying Thanksgiving (and every other holiday) the past 11 years at the local soup kitchen. And so...I am thankful for my wife as well.

Yes, I am very thankful for my mom, Betty...and my two kids, Jenifer and Jimmy. And though I know I must not assume that they are aware of how thankful I am for having them, this particular blog is directed beyond these principals. Geeze, I hope that was P.C. enough for the time being! Betty will get her very own blog entry soon.

There is no Santa Clause. There is no Easter Bunny. I certainly don’t enjoy a good trytophan-induced snooze after Thanksgiving like I used to. And there ain’t no angel named Clarence ringing a bell ‘cause he just got his wings! But there are some very important people in my life that I need to give thanks for more often...not just on turkey day.

In addition to my wife Loretta, my mom, my children, the Graysons, and the Perrys. Here are a few people that I am happy to have as a part of my life (in no particular order of importance I might add): Bob, Gary, Kris, and Peter Sellars. Some of them I don’t see nearly enough...one I will never meet...and some are essential to my well being and sanity on almost a daily basis. If I’ve forgotten someone (who reads this blog), I apologize...maybe you should call, write, or email me once in a while to get back on my “A” list! And not being on this list does not mean unimportance. Don’t forget...as we get older, that C.R.S. thing kicks in more often.

Here a just a few shots from thanksgiving at the Graysons. That's Loretta doing her serving and dishing-up thing. A picture of Loretta finishing up my plate (as I was still busy doing what I love to do most). And Bud giving the toast...that's Helen to his left...Loretta of course on his right.


So all in all, when everything was said and done...we had a very nice thanksgiving with some very nice people. I always ask Loretta on the way home, "Was I alright? Did I do or say anything stupid? 'Ya think they'll invite us back? I love you honey!" She assured me that all went well and they did, as always, enjoy our company on their special family day.

Now, I need to finish editing the 300 photos I took.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home