Hey...WossaMottaU?

Some blather on the good...the bad...and the foo king ugg lee...FWIW.

Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Agent Provocateur?

As I was flipping through my albums the other day...yes, actual f%#@ing record albums (I still have many, ones that my ex-wife was gracious enough to allow me to have after selling most at a garage sale 3 days after we split up, she also sold my bowling balls and several fishing poles for $.50 each: fodder for another post, another time))... I came across a Foreigner album from the late seventies titled, "Agent Provocateur", (as Ed Sullivan used to say, "Now for you youngsters out there...here's the Beatles....ah, Foreigner") That term, Agent Provocateur, always fascinated me. I thought that I might refer to myself as an Agent Provocateur, like entrepreneur (n : someone who organizes a business venture and assumes the risk for it [syn: enterpriser]), or sabateur (n 1: someone who commits sabotage or deliberately causes wrecks [syn: wrecker, diversionist]), or amateur (lacking professional skill or expertise;). But after looking up agent provocateur, (n : a secret agent who incites suspected persons to commit illegal acts [syn: agent provocateur]), I wasn't so sure anymore. You know, not so sure that I may somehow fit that bill. The word "provocateur" is a deritive of "provocative" (adj 1: serving or tending to provoke, excite, or stimulate; stimulating discussion or exciting controversy; "a provocative remark"). By this time, I was completely confused and disappointed. I have always thought it kind of cute, and "provocative" to use the word "provocative" loosely in many different situations, when, in reality, maybe it wasn't appropriate. But, then again...consider this. I think the word "provocative" is almost as versatile at, well...the f-word. Think about it. The f-word, or the f-ing-word is utilized at the drop of a hat in so many situations (none of which will be detailed here). How about "provocative", ie, "This cocktail is...provocative", "That "Brittany Spears outfit was...provocative", "That wine had a provocative finish". I'm not really sure that any of these usages could be defined as 'serving or tending to provoke, excite, or stimulate; stimulating discussion or exciting controversy'! Ya think? Once again, I may be wrong. If my head is up my ass on this one (or any of the others) please let me know. Now that is provocative.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home