Hey...WossaMottaU?

Some blather on the good...the bad...and the foo king ugg lee...FWIW.

Saturday, June 24, 2006

The Pink Panther stinks

Well...I did something I pledged not to do. Hang on, doing something I pledged not to do is not unusual for me, I thought I would mention it beforehand for everyone shaking their heads already. What I did was rent (Netflix) The Pink Panther (2006 version) with Steve Martin.

Now, being a complete, dyed-in-the-wool Peter Sellars/Pink Panther fan already puts me into a prejudicial frame of mind in this area from the start. In other words, I had a bad feeling about this re-make of an all-time classic movie long before it came out.

First, let me say this. Any and all attempts to recreate the comic genius of Peter Sellars/Blake Edwards material in the past have failed miserably. They have all pretty much stunk to high heaven. Even when I tried to watch these remakes (Pink Panther material) with an open mind (not really possible for me, but I tried) they would just fall short. I would slap myself in the face a few times during the opening credits, drink alcohol while watching, or force myself to look at it as a stand-alone movie...nah good! I'm tainted when it comes to, in particular, Peter Sellars. He was one of the funniest actors to ever grace the silver screen...period.

Yes, Steve Martin is also one of the funniest...I've been a huge fan of his since he was standing in front of crowds at Pier 39 in San Francisco with a fake arrow through his head and doing simple magic tricks. "Well...excuuuuuuse me!" "We are...two wild...and crazy guys." "Waiter...there are snails on her plate!" And so on and so on. 'Nuff said there.

But Steve Martin trying be Inspector Clousseau just doesn't cut it. Reasons? Everything in the movie seems so contrived. Like an episode of the Twilight Zone set in a parallel universe where Steve was chosen instead of Peter for this role. Almost as if there was no respect for the former Inspector Clousseau, the movie makers in this clunker should be ashamed of themselves. The so-called gags and laughs are forced at best, ie, "I think this part is supposed to be funny".

I found myself saying, "Now...is that supposed to be Inspector Clousseau? I know it's Steve Martin. Maybe it's his brother". You just don't make the connection. The "magic" is just not there. It is not funny. More than that, it is difficult to watch, ie, you squirm in your seat from time to time looking at your watch to see how much of this gak is left.

Unfortunately, most remakes have had the same fate. In fact, even most movies where a "recent" real person is played by an actor fall way short as well...Walk the Line and Ray are recent examples. But, both of those films as stand-alone pieces of cinema art are quite good...ya' just don't buy into well-known actors portraying other well-known people.

Again, as a near-rabid Peter Sellars fan, I suppose I am not a fair judge. There has just been too much Clousseau water under the bridge. It is over. It is all on DVD in its original form to enjoy many, many times as it was meant to be.

But please...if there is a God in heaven, He will not allow anyone to attempt a remake of The Party (Peter Sellars, 1969). If it is remade, my prediction is that Jim Carrey will do it... for he is another rabid Sellars fan and has enough money to do pretty much anything he wants!

By the way, in the words of Inspector Clousseau, "...that's...Chief Inspector".

1 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Yep, all of your reasons are the reasons why I will never see this particular remake. Thanks to you, I grew up watching the original movies, and I can say that I have an appreciation for great comedy, thanks in part to Peter Sellars. The Party, which you mentioned, is definitely one of my favorite movies, too. Good review.

11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home