Hey...WossaMottaU?

Some blather on the good...the bad...and the foo king ugg lee...FWIW.

Sunday, January 30, 2005

Are You a Bitch?

I don't often create posts soley for the purpose of soliciting comments, but I am curious about what people (especially women) think about that word: bitch.

Has it become so commonplace in today's vernacular that the connotation of this word is now accepted synonmously with the word: woman? Here is why I am questioning it today. The dictionanary says as a noun it is "a female dog"...as a verb it is "to complain". Traditionally, it has also come to mean, as a noun, a degrogatory and submissive reference toward a woman (or a guy for that matter), and so on. Correct? Last night Loretta and I went out to dinner at Chili's. It was very crowded, there was a wait for tables...except in the bar area. We sat ourselves in a booth by the bar. A few feet away were a couple of young guys, pretty typical looking student, barely-twenty one types. We could hear them talking about this and that, nothing too provocative. After about half an hour, three or four others joined them. At this point, they began using that word rather gratuitously. Keep in mind that at 7:00 pm, even the bar tables were filled with all types of people, including kids and families. Some of the conversation went like this, "I've been seeing this bitch from school...she's pretty hot, but kind of out there..." "Hey, me and Billy Bob are having a get-together tomorrow night at my place...were inviting a bunch of bitches over, should be fun...wanna come?"

Now...in my day, we would have asked the question, "Hey, why would you and Billy Bob want to invite over a bunch of bitches? How about inviting over a bunch of, well...nice, hot chicks?"

My point is this...do you accept this kind of referrence? And, are women attracted to guys who use this referrence? I realize it can be construed as "guy talk"...but in a public place? I realize it may be part of our "culture" now. And, yes...I made a motion to go over and say something (politely of course), but Loretta stopped me, "They're just guys...leave 'em alone". She kind of defended them! Or quite possibly didn't want me to go over and kick their asses (or more importantly... vice versa).

It was time to go, I opted to not have another drink (the right thing to do at that point), and we left.

I guess I am just showing my age again. I was raised in a different era. I even got suspened for three days from high school for calling a girl a bitch at an afterschool dance. Suspended for three days! Today, it seems like that word could be substituted for "maam" or "girl", ie, "Hey, bitch...do you have the new "Green Day" CD in stock?"

I'll admit, I have uttered that word many times. I am a very bad boy! But it was always used in some sort of derogatory statement about a former boss, someone cutting me off in traffic, or a girl who wouldn't dance with me in high school. I am truly sorry. But is it alright to use it in today's society as a casual referrence for the female gender...that is my question?

One more thing or two. The word "chick" used to evoke the same reaction 20 years ago. So, I suppose I am as guilty as those turd-pots in the bar for disrespect. But...I am trying to be better!

I just think women should say something more often when they hear that "B" word. Walk up to the shit-bird and say, "Excuse me, bitch, but what did you say? You weren't referring to a woman, were you...bitch?"

Just curious.

P.S. I don't even want get into the use of the word "whore"...don't get me started!

5 Comments:

Blogger Neighbour of Teh Hoors! said...

Interesting Post!
I will 100% admit to being a bitch, in that I daily am guilty at bitching... but as for referring to a "chick" as a bitch, that's really wierd. I don't know if it's used that much in the UK but I can't say I like it that much.

As for the "wh" word, I think it can mean only one thing! But I guess my blog makes my opinions on that word clear anyway! ;)

7:43 AM  
Blogger Burninghair said...

Bitch is such an elastic word these days. Its uses range anywhere from envy to sisterly love. In a lot of ways it’s related to the word ‘dog’ i.e.: You lucky dog. I use the word jokingly, I use the word seriously… I refer to myself as capable of being a sheer bitch… it depends on the context you use it in.

The word has less value than say 10 years ago. Women have turned that word around from negative connotations to positive reinforcing strength. Some guy calls a woman a bitch, she turns around and says ‘That’s right honey, and don’t you forget it.’

A lot of men still use the word bitch in a derogatory sense… those men usually have severe inferiority complexes- usually not only pertaining to the female gender… having issues with female authority or determination.

I have an entirely different perception on the word ‘whore’ – but I won’t get you started on that… hell don’t get me started on that. hehe.

8:41 AM  
Blogger rfun6 said...

wooo hooo. Someone else who agrees with me, on how things have changed. And not for the better, I might add. I don't care what anyone thinks, or if my thinking is dated. Some things are not right. I'm with ya.

7:29 PM  
Blogger bugamartini said...

Yup, you're not the only one. I don't understand why ESPECIALLY women, themselves, toss that word around like it's a hot potato. And women call themselves bitches and they seem proud of it. I don't think being mean, nasty, or obnoxious is anything to be proud of. One should be proud if they are good to others. So, if anyone's going to boast bodly about anything, it should be that. There's nothing wrong with being honest or direct, but a lot of what the younger generation is forgetting about is ummm something called 'tact'.

Sorry to have gone off on a tanget, there. I was actually thinking about writing about "bitches" in my blog the other day. I probably will at some point.

Pretty much, a lot of the "female" blogs I run into, I find a woman boasting about her bitchy attitude. Uh...errr, no thanks. :-)

12:02 AM  
Blogger bugamartini said...

Yup, you're not the only one. I don't understand why ESPECIALLY women, themselves, toss that word around like it's a hot potato. And women call themselves bitches and they seem proud of it. I don't think being mean, nasty, or obnoxious is anything to be proud of. One should be proud if they are good to others. So, if anyone's going to boast bodly about anything, it should be that. There's nothing wrong with being honest or direct, but a lot of what the younger generation is forgetting about is ummm something called 'tact'.

Sorry to have gone off on a tanget, there. I was actually thinking about writing about "bitches" in my blog the other day. I probably will at some point.

Pretty much, a lot of the "female" blogs I run into, I find a woman boasting about her bitchy attitude. Uh...errr, no thanks. :-)

12:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home