Hey...WossaMottaU?

Some blather on the good...the bad...and the foo king ugg lee...FWIW.

Monday, February 07, 2005

You gotta see this one...Sideways

I don't usually do movie reviews (too controversial), especially when my daughter is so much better at it and we rarely agree. But she recommended this one, and we do agree! The other couple of movies we agreed on were Big Fish and American Beauty - mostly because she saw so much of her dad in them I think.
Sideways

Loretta and I saw Sideways today. It was a toss up between that and The Boogeyman, so you can see where my interests gravitate when I plop down $12 for a matinee. I thought it would be a good idea to see Sideways for several reasons. One, it was filmed in and around where we used to live (Solvang, Buellton, Los Olivos). Two, it starred Paul Giamatti - I'm a huge fan (even with his Planet of the Apes character). American Splendor was a strange but cool flick. And three, I like Pinot Noir. What else could I ask for?

After watching a trailer of it on line this morning, I was also convinced that it would be a movie about a character that I could relate to on a very personal basis. A person with a lot of inner, personal angst and doubt (right up my alley) - and a film about an epiphany of sorts. Self realization if you will. The main characters are a writer (school teacher by day) and an actor (radio voice over person by day).

Well, it didn't disappoint in any of those areas. It was a funny yet poignant film. I would like reiterate "funny", we laughed until we cried at times. To see Paul Giamatti's character, Miles (a wine snob) scream at this buddy, "I won't drink fucking Merlot! I won't do it!", is a riot.

There are no explosions or car chases, though there is a very funny sequence where the two main characters try to mess up their car to make it look like it was in an accident. There are no long, drawn out karate scenes, though there is a sequence where one of the guys gets his ass kicked by a chick (a lot of you will enjoy that). There is a brief sex scene, but it is part of section of the film where you are laughing your ass off already.

We want to see it again. We will buy it when it comes to DVD. You gotta see this one!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home