Hey...WossaMottaU?

Some blather on the good...the bad...and the foo king ugg lee...FWIW.

Saturday, August 19, 2006

American Beauty...a beauty of a film

This is an excerpt from the script of one of my favorite movies...American Beauty (1999).

It was written by Alan Ball, who is also the writer and creator of HBO’s Six Feet Under.

This part of the script comes just before the ending credits, and is a voice-over by Kevin Spacy’s character, Lester Burnham...just after after he dies.

I guess I could be pretty pissed about what happened to me...but it’s hard to stay mad, when there’s so much beauty in the world. Sometimes I feel like I’m seeing it all at once, and it’s too much, my heart fills up like a balloon that’s about to burst...

And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can’t feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life...

You have no idea what I’m talking about, I’m sure...but don’t worry...

You will someday.

It's one of my favorite monologues from a movie. There are things that have happened to me in my life that I continue to carry with me...things that I should let go of. Why? Because there are too many beautful things in this world, in my life now...and yet to come...that I simply need to be patient, and they will appear.

American Beauty is a quirky (for lack of better term) movie, and not for everyone I suppose. When Loretta and I saw it in the theatre seven years ago, several people walked out shortly before the end. I just wasn't what they had expected.

Just for the record...it won Oscars for Best Actor (Kevin Spacey), Best Cinematography (Conrad Hall), Best Director (Sam Mendes), Best Screenplay (Alan Ball)...oh, and Best Picture of 1999. Annette Benning was nominated for Best Actress, but didn't win for this role. American Beauty had many other awards bestowed upon it, both foreign and domestic.

If you haven't seen it...rent it or buy it. If you have seen it...watch it again, it's worth the 90 minutes of your time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home