Hey...WossaMottaU?

Some blather on the good...the bad...and the foo king ugg lee...FWIW.

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Aquaria

Well...I dove back into the aquarium thing last week (pardon the marine-like pun).

I have always had a penchant (that word sounded good for some reason) for keeping an aquarium, albeit with various degrees of success. Since I was 12 years old I have loved aquariums and tropical fish. Of course, the enthusiasm always wained after a short amount of time. My attention to maintenance went down (or away). The fish would die...and the aquarium went into the garage for a while. Then, I would start it up again or buy a new one (usally bigger and more expensive each time).

This time I decided to "go for it". To make a leap of faith so to speak. I did it again...this time I went saltwater!!! OMG...am I insane? Do I not remember past aquatic failures? Did I not heed the warnings, ie, saltwater tanks require so much more maintenance and attention? Apparently not...



Yes...that is a 60 gallon saltwater "show tank". The 60 gallons is a record for me, the largest yet. The "show tank" just means it is very tall and thin, allowing for a much bigger viewing area. It will also allow for a much better view of the algae and dead fish if it comes to that! But...let us think positively. For I pledged to do it right this time, "Loretta...I promise to take care of it". That last statement sounded just like a child's plea for a kitten or a puppy, didn't it? Seriously, I will make it happen this time or my name isn't...well, let's not go that far.

With a saltwater tank, there really isn't that much more maintenance. It's just that they are much less forgiving than freshwater tanks when you don't do the minimal. That minimal is a monthly water exchange and filter cleaning (or element replacement). The water exchange involves draining about 20% of the water and replacing it with fresh (or in this case, salinated), dechlorinated water. I can do that. I will do that. I have to do that...Loretta told me that she is NOT going to do that!

Sure, you must keep the glass clean inside and out. Windex for the outside, an algae scraper sponge thingy for the inside. Sure, monitor the salinity level...very simple with the inexpensive floating hydrometer I got. The temperature? Well, yes...that's another issue...not as important in the summer as in the winter. This time of year, the temperature is pretty much self regulated with A/C. In the winter, the inside air temp gets cool at night, hence the need for an in-tank heater. Not a problem...got one, ready to go. Beyond all that...we're stylin' with a very nice piece of living furniture. We have two screens of entertainment going at once...the tank is right next to the plasma TV!

Oh, one more issue...the fish can be expensive. They can be very expensive...depending on how exotic one wishes to go. Factor in the mortality rate, and the fish are even more costly. But, go back a couple of paragraphs now...if I adhere to the aquaria pledge I made, things should be OK, right? Let's hope so.

Speaking of fish. We have started with the so-called Saltwater Fish for Beginners. Yes, a few of the aquarium website on-line fish stores have this list for us salty novices. Some of the little guys cost between $3 and $5...not bad. Of course, these little hardy fish are somewhat aggressive toward other fish...and, they grow fast. Did I mention that characteristic of saltwater aquarium fish? They grow a lot faster (and bigger) than freshwater fish. That's all relative though...bigger is relative. For instance, a little damsel fish or clownfish (like Nemo) may grow to 5 or 6 inches...but not overnight. It may take a few years. Not a problem (have I said this before?). That will just be another motivating factor for getting another (and much bigger) tank! Anyway...

Above is a Yellow Tang. Below is a Spotted or Pajama Cardinal Fish.


This orange guy below is a Tomato Clownfish, a close relative of the Percula Damsel, aka, Nemo fish. We will probably not get a Nemo fish, as they are (pound for pound) one of the most aggressive saltwater fish around, ie, will try to kill others that resemble it!

The ugly one is an Algae Blenny. Not pretty, but does his job well...eating algae and keeping to himself.

There is another one, an Engineer Goby. A skinny, striped, eel-like fish. But he was very camera shy. Seems he digs little holes to hide in under the sand. In fact, his little hole is so big it has undermined one of the decorations. I think he made it a two-story hole with a three car garage!

So far, so good. We just got back from the aquarium store with five new "cheapies"...several colors and varieties of Damsel fish. Photos forthcoming. Wish me luck!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home