Hey...WossaMottaU?

Some blather on the good...the bad...and the foo king ugg lee...FWIW.

Saturday, August 26, 2006

My baby girl is now buying a house!

I guess you could insert any number of descriptive actions after the words "My baby girl is...".

Afterall...Jenifer is soon to be 27 years old, married, living in another state, has been to Europe on her own (with other friends), graduated from college, and now...buying a house. So, that list of things she has done since she was a baby just keeps getting longer...naturally. That list of adult things...most of which I am very proud. The majority of which I am very proud. Some adult things, like doing 21 shots of various hard liquor on the night of her 21st birthday, an unnecessary but popular rite of passage, not as proud as I am extremely relieved (that she survived the ordeal!).



But now, my little girl whom we named Jenifer Leigh Hansen (now Jenifer Leigh Gonzales...or is it Jenifer Hansen Gonzales?) and her husband Roth are smack dab in the middle of a All-Time Top 10 Stress List thing. They are in escrow to buy a home in Seattle.

A few of the other All-Time Top 10 Stress List things include a heart attack, marriage problems, job problems, moving, redecorating one's house, and a death in the family. Back in 1986...I managed to experience 9 out of that top 10...within about 6 months. I survived. I am confident that Jenifer will survive this escrow ordeal as well.

You see, Jenifer is stressing out quite a bit during this house-buying process. Her saving grace is that husband Roth remains calm. He is a very low-key guy who has consistently remained a very rational influence on her when things get a little...well, tense.

Buying a home, especially your first home, is not fun! Shopping for a home is fun. Dreaming about buying a home is fun. Specifically...dealing with the teams of idiots you find inhabiting the world of real estate and mortgage loans is a daunting task. Fortunately, they are doing this home-buying thing by dealing directly with the owner...no real estate agent. I am a real estate agent, though not working in or practicing in that field of endeavor at this time. The reasons why I am not are irrelevant at this juncture...but let me say this. I just found it a very tough and unsatifying way to earn a living, especially when the bottom falls out of the market. 'Nuff said for now...although the teams of idiots I ran into did influence my decision to get out...for now. Jenifer has now been exposed to this same team...welcome to the world of real estate.

Having been on both of ends of this escrow process many times before, I can comisserate with her feelings. I have done nothing but encourage her and Roth to go ahead and get into home ownership as soon as possible. Knowing that they are both very intelligent and analytical (to a point), I was confident they would use care in choosing which house to buy. Afterall, it is a very emotional purchase...decisions must be made with rational and logical thought. They are buying the house in which they have been living for over a year. Good job!

With all the professional and personal advice I could give them (solicited and unsolicited), they are taking the next big step life. The next huge move in their lives together as a couple. Escrow is set to close in a couple of days. Congratulations Jen and Roth! Right on!

They are well aware of the challenges involved with property ownership...not the least of which is a higher expense. The higher expense not only in the monthly payment (versus rent), but in maintenance. They know they can't call their rental landlord when the toilet doesn't flush right, or the water heater is not heating water, or the fence falls down. They are ready for all of that.

And I am ready to console my baby girl when the next things happen. Like when the toilet needs replacing, the water heater needs replacing, or the fence needs repair. I don't live near them right now...or I would be over there to physically help with circumstances such as these. Jen will surely stress out when these things happen. Roth will surely be there to calm her down...as will I via the phone and internet.

My little girl is all grows'd up! But...she is still my little girl. And she still calls her Dad when she needs him.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Thanks, Dad, for the support!

6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home