Hey...WossaMottaU?

Some blather on the good...the bad...and the foo king ugg lee...FWIW.

Sunday, December 24, 2006

'Twas the night before Christmas...

Today is the night before Christmas.

Loretta and I have a full list of things to do...probably a good thing to stay busy. The alternative is lying around and being depressed. She is off today, and I am just...”off” as per usual.

Beginning at 8:00am, we’ll head out for breakfast somewhere, probably Perkos, one of our monthly “date” routines. My breakfast will be so gluttonous that I will not need to eat again for three days. BTW...Last night we had Panda Express takeout. I have been getting the 2-item entree. But recently (in my over-eating stupor) I have opted for the extra-item for $1.25 more. The nice Asian lady who runs the joint diligently asks us every time we go there:

Asian lady: (in her best inaudible and undeciferable pidgeon English) "You want add extra item for $1.25?"

Me:
(Like I'm getting a deal) "Yeah, sure...why not? I'll have the sweet and sour pork". (All along knowing that if I got the 3-item entree, it would cost the same as adding $1.25 to the 2-item entree)

So when we got home, we noticed that they actually put another item in the bag. Now, I have to eat a 4-item entree...and they don't even have such an option! Yes...I had to eat it...waste not, want not. I'm still stuffed this morning (is that possible with Chinese food?)...and my stomach is making those gurgling sounds. Must be the King Pao Chicken! I digress...

Then to Gottschalks so she can pick up a few last minute items for gift giving.

We’ll venture to Winco for some grocery shopping...gotta stock up a bit for Jen and Roth’s visit come Tuesday.

Loretta is planning to “fluff” the pillows in the guest accomodations. This means washing the sheets, vacuuming, then cleaning the guest bathroom, etc.

Lunch? Probably nothing today, we’ll be grazing on appetizers and having a cocktail or two later on this afternoon. (Remember my gluttonous breakfast?)

We have an engagement photo shoot next door about 1:00. Our neighbor’s son is getting married in March and we are doing the wedding (in Napa).

Around 3:00, we’ll drop in to Sue & Gene’s place (yes, we’ve been invited) for a little holiday cheer and some appetizers. Plus, we have to drop off some prints I did for them.

Tonight, for dinner...instead of going out like we usually do, we’ve decided to stay home and make a nice dinner for ourselves. That means I will be doing the cooking while Loretta takes a nap on the couch in front of the TV. I’m not sure what I will be fixing yet. We’re having Prime Rib at Sue & Gene’s tomorrow, so no beef tonight!

Later, we’ll both hit the couch and break out the cell phones and start calling our families and friends...an annual Xmas Eve tradition for us the past 8 years.

We haven’t seen It’s A Wonderful Life for a few years, might be time to experience that tear-jerker again. Of course, Planes, Trains, and Automobiles sits in my DVD library ready for this time of year. I know it really is a Thanksgiving flick, but fun to watch around Xmas as well.

Around 10:00, I’ll wake up Loretta, “Honey, let’s go to bed”. We’ll stumble around turning out the lights and checking the doors. And that will be it for us on Xmas Eve.

We'll watch the news in bed. All that "Santa has been reported on radar shit" just doesn't do much for me anymore. Me...Kim...Kris...circa 1959.

I won’t elaborate on what this night was like for me when I was a kid, I’ve already done that here recently to some extent. But I will say this. It was always filled with relatives, good food, and gift opening. Yes, our family opened presents on the night before christmas. The rule was pretty simple. My Dad would remind me and my two sisters as we started getting whiny late in the afternoon:

Us: “Dad...when can we start opening presents?”

Dad: “I’m not gonna tell you again...when it gets dark!”

Us: “That’s not fair. The neighbors already did it, and they’re out playing with their stuff.” (The Dudgeons next door opening all their presents around 1:30 or so. I was so jealous.)

Dad: “If you keep whining about it, we won’t open any tonight. Most families open their presents on Christmas Day!”

Us: (with terrorized facial expressions) “NOOOOOOO! We’ll be patient.”

Sister Kim: "What's patient mean?"

Me: "It means that Mom and Dad are being means to us! Shut up!"

Dad: “Fine. It won’t be long. Go play with something you got last year”.

Us: “Yeah...right. All that stuff is yucky!”

Dad: (in his thoughts) “Swine kids!”

Us: (two minutes later) “Can we open just one now?”

Of course, he did allow us just one “early” present on this day. Mom and Dad would pick out one gift they knew would keep us busy for a while. Heaven forbid it was a sweater, or socks, or something stupid like that. There would be hell to pay for getting an article of clothing for that one early present.

Yup...the afternoon leading up to Xmas Eve was filled with anxiety for me. But a good anxiety. Unfortunately, the Jack Daniel's thing didn't come along until years later.

And to all...a good night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home