Hey...WossaMottaU?

Some blather on the good...the bad...and the foo king ugg lee...FWIW.

Saturday, December 16, 2006

Reefer Madness...

I have seen worse. By no means is our refrigerator the messiest. In fact, Loretta and I routinely dive in head first and so some Spring cleaning regardless of the calendar date,

Earlier this morning, I said to my loving wife, "Honey, we have to leave about 10:00am. It's 8:00am now, so I have two hours to clean out the reefer". Well, 15 minutes later (with Loretta's help), it was done! I have no idea why I thought it would take 2 hours. It is a chore I have successfully completed many times over. Truthfully, I actually enjoy it. Throwing out old crap from the refrigerator is somewhat of a liberating experience...a rebirth if you will...a purge...a cleansing.

What did I toss? Without any remorse...I threw out the following items: moldy, sliced Swiss cheese...two large leeks (once destined for leek and potato soup)...two broccoli crowns (well-intentioned swing toward eating more veggies)...one really nasty looking yellow crook necked squash...a quarter head of iceberg lettuce now brown on the outside...a half full quart of buttermilk now 30 days past the expiration date...two half-used jars of roasted red bells (may have been OK, but I wasn't up for popping the top and sticking my nose in)...a really old jar of capers...a little plastic container of diced green chiles...an open 1/2 liter Diet Pepsi long since gone flat...and an assortment of plastic containers with contents of unknown origin.

We wiped off the shelves, returned all the "good" stuff...and now I'm ready to restock! Yes, there was a plan to this reefer madness. It is time to head back to the Sonoma Diet book and start up the "plan" once again. I know it is not the best time of year to adjust one's dietary habits, but I always seem to choose this time of year. Why not? We have not been inundated with invites to holiday gatherings, so neither one of us has packed it on (no worse than any other time of the year). But yours truly, especially, has layered on a few pounds from late summer when we were fully ensconced in that Sonoma Diet thing. And one of the challenges of this diet is that it forces you to eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables. Hence, the pantry and the freezer are somewhat void of substance. But, one must plan the meals and not let all that fresh stuff sit around for very long...they do indeed turn into science experiments in no time flat.

The bottom line is that we have already implemented one of our perrenial pledges...the new year's resolution to eat better...and to eat less. We are already back on that illustrious wagon.

Onward. But, I still need to use that slab of breakfast sausage I thawed out the other day. I don't want to be wasteful you know!

Check it out. What a neat reefer, huh?

I suppose I should've taken a shot or two before for contrast. That pack of moldy sliced Swiss cheese was quite striking... from a strictly photographic standpoint!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home